Ribavirin: In combination with recombinant interferon alfa-2b injection for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C in patients with compensated liver disease previously untreated with alpha interferon or who have relapsed following alpha interferon therapy.
Dosage and Administration:
ADULTS: PO Patients 75 kg: two 200 mg capsules in the morning and three 200 mg capsules in the evening. Patients > 75 kg: three 200 mg capsules in the morning and evening. In patients whose hemoglobin levels fall < 10 g/dL, reduce the ribavirin dose to 600 mg/day (one 200 mg capsule in the morning and two 200 mg capsules in the evening). Permanently discontinue ribavirin in patients whose hemoglobin levels fall < 8.5 g/dL
- CV: Cardiac arrest, hypotension,
- CNS: Headache, dizziness, insomnia, irritability, depression, emotional lability, impaired concentration, nervousness, fatigue
- DERM: Rash; alopecia, pruritus, injection site inflammation and reaction.
- EENT: sinusitis, taste perversion, hearing disorders, vertigo.
- GI: Nausea, anorexia, dyspepsia, vomiting.
- HEM: hemolytic anemia, changes in hemoglobin, neutrophil, and platelet values.
- RESP: dyspnea.
- OTHER: Myalgia, arthralgia, musculo-skeletal pain, rigors, fever, flu-like symptoms, asthenia, chest pain.